Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    Alright guys, some first impressions.


    SYSTEM
    The system itself is very well-designed. It is slim and lightweight, and should fit conveniently in any household.

    The setup takes no time at all. I just had to hook the system up as I would any other, place the little "sensor" bar below my TV (can go above or below), place batteries in my Wii Remote, and I was ready to rumble!

    The Wii Remote is smaller than I expected, but fits great in my hand and is one of the best gaming controllers I've personally used. I love the way it rumbles and I love how precisely it is read on the TV. I played it on my big-screen television and had no problems what-so-ever, so it can be played on any size of television with no worries.

    The Nunchuck is very lightweight and feels a bit cheap in terms of just feeling like a plastic shell surrounding a joystick, but I can't complain because it gets the job done!

    I love the way the discs are actually taken in by the system instead of pressing a button and having a disc tray come out. This is going to prevent alot of frustration because it eliminates:
    - the possiblity of breaking a disc tray
    - the possiblity of closing the disc tray before the game disc is fully seated in it

    The interface of the Wii is very user-friendly with buttons that are of good size so that they can be easily read and so that they are appealing. The many channels are also fairly neat, though some such as the News and Forecast channel don't appear to be up and running. As of now there are mainly the "Wii" channel (for the games inside the console), the "Mii" channel (for customizing a little 'avatar'/person that belongs to you), the "Photo" channel (for uploading photos/videos via SD card and editing them), and the "Wii Shop" channel, which allows for the purchase and play of virtual console games, etc., but which I haven't gotten to use yet since I currently don't have wireless internet (though I will be able to test this out later tonight or tomorrow.)

    I already uploaded a few photos to the Photo Channel just to test it out, and it works great. When editing photos, you can apply a 'mood' (filter) to them, doodle on them a la Paint/Photoshop, and even turn a picture into a puzzle with a set amount of pieces (6, 12, and even up to 48!).

    I thought the doodle mode for the pictures was really cool because with the sensor bar on your television, the Wii Remote can actually determine the size of the tool you are using (for example, how large the paint brush will be) by moving it closer or further away from the bar. (Moving the remote CLOSER to the bar makes the paint brush larger, and vice versa.)

    The puzzle mode was also a neat addition and should appeal to the older members of the family who like working puzzles. It is really cool that they included this because of the fact that you can use the remote to aim at the pieces and arrange them, similar to doing so by hand. It is especially cool because when you successfully complete the puzzle, it shows how much time it took for you to do so. I smell family competition!


    GAMES
    Wii Sports
    This was the first game I tried simply because it came with the system and I knew it'd be a great indicator of what the Wii was all about.

    Boxing -- In Boxing, the controls were what really made this game differ from the dozens upon dozens of other boxing games in the past. This reminded me of Punchout, only with your real movements mimicked by the game. Since you are holding both the remote and nunchuck in each hand, if you lean your body in any direction (left, right, forwards, or backwards), the character actually performs the motion and can do so to evade punches. Of course, both the remote and nunchuck act as each hand, so you can actually act as if you're throwing punches to take down your opponent. The remote works well with this little game, and it is a blast to play and even gives a great amount of exercise due to the amount of punching and bobbing and weaving you'll be doing.

    Baseball -- Baseball was probably one of the more boring titles I played. Though it was cool being able to actually both hit and pitch, the hitting aspect lacks much depth and the pitching aspect grows old pretty fast. It's not a bad game, it just didn't hold my attention for long.

    Tennis -- Tennis was pretty enjoyable, and was pretty much what I'd come to expect. To serve the ball, you actually swing the controller upwards then back down to act as if you're really serving. To hit the ball, you just swing the remote when the ball gets to your little guy. Pretty simply stuff -- but fun nevertheless.

    Golf -- Golf was one of the better titles in my opinion simply because of the amount of depth that it seemed to offer. It was a more soothing, relaxed title with less physical activity required than the others, but the ability to change the type of club and the fact that how quickly you swing the remote determines how far the ball will go made this a fun game that would be a great time waster.

    Bowling -- Bowling was somewhat lacking in terms of fun factor and depth. Basically, you swing the the remote down, then back upwards to act as if you're really bowling, and the power of the swing determines how quickly the ball will roll. It was frustrating at times because the ball tended to spin over to the left just about every time, much like what the guys at Gamespot experienced when they were demonstrating Wii Sports live during an event several days ago. And again, this is not a bad title, it's just somewhat frustrating and lacks any real depth or satisfaction.


    Also included are a "training" and "fitness test" mode, neither of which I've tried, but both of which seem to be for helping get more exercise (if you wish), which is a big plus for those stuck inside during the cold, windy holidays.

    OVERALL: Wii Sports was extremely cool for a free product and when combined with the many channels and features included with the Wii, this system, it's just an experience that could be good even without any extra games. My favorite was definitely boxing because it was the more unique title, but golf was also a great one to play.


    Rayman: Raving Rabbids
    I've not gotten too far into this game yet, but from what I've played, it's done a great job of showing what the Wii is capable of achieving in terms of gaming controls.

    It's NOT the typical platformer you would expect.

    It is almost like a wacky version of WarioWare, because you play a huge variety of mini games (70 I believe) that are crazy but fun. I've been through, for example, a mini game in which you are strolling through a "Wild West" town and shooting plungers at bunnies (by aiming with the remote), a mini game in which you swing a cow on a chain by swinging the remote in circles above your head, and even a mini game in which you must shake both the remote and nunchuck up and down quickly in order to make Rayman sprint to the end of a course in order to deliver a present before it explodes!

    Since I've just begun playing this one, I can't comment too much on it, but I will say that it is a very fun title that should provide plenty of replay value since each mini game can be played again and because multiplayer allows for up to 3 others to compete in the mini games.



    OVERALL
    Overall, I'm very satisfied with the Nintendo Wii.

    It was relatively cheap, the console is well-designed and quiet, the controllers are designed extremely well, the games are fun, the interface is great, and though the graphics aren't "next gen," they are easily up to par with GC/PS2/XBOX and provide enough visual pleasure so that they aren't "sickening" to the eye.

    Every time I look down at the system, I see no wires for the controllers; then I look up and see this sleek, thin sensor bar on my television; then I look down and see what Wii Remote and nunchuck in my hand, both which feel more natural than any controller; then I can't help but think, "I totally see where Nintendo is going with this!"
    Officially retired

  2. #2
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    If I was going to buy one of these new game systems, it would be the Wii. Mostly because of price, but the fact that my Gamecube discs are compatible helps as well.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  3. #3
    Inactive Member imported_hhstigerfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 12th, 2003
    Posts
    277
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    I don't like the fact that you have to have Wi-Fi to connect to the internet. If you don't have it, you either have to get a wireless router or buy the LAN adapter when it comes out in Jan.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    Very true.. that is a downside.

    I'm very fortunate that here at my mom's house I have a wireless router, but at my dad's I'm without one so I won't be able to connect online at his house. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

    May have to actually invest in a wireless router for a Christmas present so that I can get online there.


    Speaking of the online aspect, however, I did login last night and it was pretty neat.

    I went to the "Virtual Console Classics" store and though they don't have many titles up just yet, the idea itself just looks like it's going to work really well.

    As of now I saw NES, SNES, N64, and Sega Genesis games, but I didn't get to try any out because I'm not going to really fool with it until they get more games out and until I can buy a "Classic Controller," which looks like this if you haven't seen it yet:
    0004549689005 215X215

    Here are some that they had (from memory)

    NES -- Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, and several more (they had about 10-15 I think.)

    SNES -- F-Zero and SimCity

    N64 -- Super Mario 64

    Sega Genesis -- Sonic the Hedgehog and Altered Beast


    They're supposed to add new titles every month from what I hear.
    Officially retired

  5. #5
    Inactive Member 1inStripes's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2002
    Posts
    12,052
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    I would be most worried about not having a tray to load the disc in. I sure would hate to loose a rental in one when the "kicker" fails to give back the disc.
    "Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08

  6. #6
    Inactive Member TheBeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 24th, 2004
    Posts
    4,351
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    [ QUOTE ]
    The Nunchuck is very lightweight and feels a bit cheap in terms of just feeling like a plastic shell surrounding a joystick, but I can't complain because it gets the job done!


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Could it be opened up and some weight added to it inside to give it a better feel.
    [COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    The Nunchuck is very lightweight and feels a bit cheap in terms of just feeling like a plastic shell surrounding a joystick, but I can't complain because it gets the job done!


    [/ QUOTE ]

    Could it be opened up and some weight added to it inside to give it a better feel.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yeah, I'm sure it could. Here's one website where they took it apart so that you can see what exactly is inside of it:
    http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10376/

    I probably won't bother messing around with it too much though because I was playing it more last night and the feeling of it being lightweight really goes away fairly quickly.

    I actually got Madden 07 last night (spent some Christmas money early) but haven't had time to play it all that much, and I am planning on getting Zelda for Christmas since it's supposed to be the best Wii title and I wouldn't want to spoil the surprise too early.

    When I play Madden 07 some more I'll be sure to come back with updates!
    Officially retired

  8. #8
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    How about two weeks later? Broken anything by throwing the Wiimote yet?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  9. #9
    Inactive Member SWVA-Football's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2005
    Posts
    4,965
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    [ QUOTE ]
    How about two weeks later? Broken anything by throwing the Wiimote yet?

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Nope, right now just waiting for Christmas so that I can get Zelda! [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Can't wait for it!
    Officially retired

  10. #10
    Inactive Member RaiderWahoo0105's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2004
    Posts
    625
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Nintendo Wii Impressions (Got it , played it)

    Chubz, I'm thinking of getting a Wii myself, question - how quickly do the batteries burn out on the wireless wiimotes?

    Are you using rechargeables?
    Go Wahoos!
    Go Mounties!
    [img]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/flipanova_7/Inferno.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •